Testing & Inspection

All non-domestic electrical installations should be subject to a regular programme of testing and inspection to comply with current legislation.

We are approved to carry out these inspections and issue certificates.

There are many good reasons for adopting periodic testing. You may need to inspect and test to comply with the IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition. Or if you have recently acquired ownership or tenancy of a business or workplace premises you may wish to ensure the installation is safe.

Periodic inspection reports are also a requirement for most rented properties and insurance companies and are advisable when buying any new property.

Recommended maximum time between Inspections:

  • Rented Properties – 5 years.
  • Commercial Installations – 5 years.
  • Industrial Installations – 3 years.
  • External Installations – 3 years.

Over time, all electrical installations will deteriorate. Legislation requires that all installations are maintained in a safe condition and therefore must be periodically inspected and tested to ensure compliance with BS 7671.

Under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 which incorporates The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, a statutory legal duty is placed on all Employers to ensure that employees and all others are not subjected to risks to their health and safety. In particular, The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 requires that those on control of part or all of an electric system ensure that the system is safe to use and it is maintained in a safe condition.

The actual specifics of a test can vary and will be dependent on the type of appliance being tested. Each appliance will be allocated an identification number with a pass or fail label attached accordingly. All relevant certification and reports will be forwarded to your company or home.

Home Buyers

This check is very useful when buying a house to check if it requires any updating or rewiring prior to purchase. A visual inspection to verify whether the property has current earthing arrangements present and cables are PVC (not rubber/lead), that the consumer units have RCD protection for ground floor sockets (to provide facility for outside use) and has correct overload protection for circuits (i.e. lights 6A not 40A.)

PAT (Portable Appliance Test)

To check any portable appliances that have 13amp plugs on for insurance purposes and personal safety issues. This test is required when leaving appliances in rented properties and when appliances are taken into hall of residence or for checking appliances after a flood or fire damage.

Advice & Written Reports Compiled for:

  • Local Authorities licensing requirements
  • Insurance Companies
  • Health & Social Service Authorities requirements
  • Building Societies/Banks requirements for mortgages
  • Independent surveys and visual inspections to premises
  • Landlords Reports & Certification

Electrical Installation Certificates

Wiring Regulations stipulate that on the completion of all electrical installation work carried out by electrical contractors, whether this be a complete rewire or the addition of a socket outlet or lighting point. Electrical Installation, Electrical Completion or a Minor Work Certificate should be provided to the customer which proves that the electrical work has been carried out and inspected and tested to current installation and safety standards. Treadaway Electrical Services provide full detailed certificates on all such work carried out.